A hip pointer is a deep bruise to the ridge of the bone on the upper outside of the hip, called the iliac crest. This injury results in pain, swelling, and bruises in the hip region. Hip pointers are common in contact sports such as football and basketball where there is a great risk of impact and collision.
The Most Common Hip Pointer Symptoms:
- Hip pointer injuries cause sharp pain in the hip region.
- The hip area causes pain when pressure is applied.
- Bruises may appear on the upper outside of the hip.
- Stiffness in the hip region and limited range of motion may occur after hip pointer.
- Numbness may occur after a hip pointer in case a nerve gets ruptured.
- Limited range of motion.
- Flexibility of the hip joint decreases.
- Injury causes discomfort and pain while sitting or laying down on the side of the injury.
- Injured area feels weak and the weight bearing capacity of the leg decreases.
If you are facing similar issues, then be sure to seek direct assistance from the best hip replacement specialist in Mumbai to get the most effective solutions.
The Hip Pointer Diagnosis Process:
A hip pointer diagnosis is followed by a sequence of physical tests as well as image testing.
- Physical activity: Orthopedic surgeons may ask the patient to perform a physical activity to diagnose the extent and severity of the damage caused.
- X-Ray: The healthcare provider will conduct an X-Ray to diagnose any bone fractures caused.
- MRI: Magnetic resonance imaging is conducted by the healthcare provider to check for any ligament/tissue loss.
- CT Scan: Computed tomography scan provides detailed imaging of the bones and tissues which can be used to check the structural damage caused.
- Ultrasound: Ultrasound helps the doctor to look for muscle or tendon tears.
- Arthroscopy: In worst cases, a hip pointer requires arthroscopy surgery to treat the injury.
- Other nerve conduction tests to check the damage caused to the nerves.
The Hip Pointer Treatment:
The treatment of a hip pointer injury may depend on the severity of the injury. Some common treatment methods are:
- Rest: Allow the injury to heal by providing adequate rest.
- Ice: Applying ice to the injured area several times a day for 15-20 minutes helps to elevate pain as well as swelling.
- Compression: Using an adequate compression wrap and bandage helps reduce swelling and provides support to the injured hip.
- Elevation: Elevation of the injured area above the heart helps reduce swelling.
- Pain relief medications: Pain relief medications help reduce pain.
- Assistive devices: Crutches and cranes reduce the impact of body weight on the hip, hence resulting in a speedy recovery.
- Avoid activities that have an impact on the injuries until the hip gets fully recovered.
- Physical treatment: Once the pain and swelling fade away Physical therapy is recommended by the orthopedic surgeon to regain the movement and flexibility of the hip joint.
Patients suffering from Hip pointer need to receive appropriate medical care to minimize the pain and the complications. Close monitoring by an orthopedic surgeon in Mumbai prevents the condition from deteriorating.
Dr. Niraj Vora is one of the most reputed hip replacement surgeons in Mumbai who is widely consulted for hip replacement and hip pointer surgeries. With over 20 years of experience in this field of study, Dr. Niraj Vora should be at the very top of your list if you wish to avail the best hip pointer treatment.